Our pupils come from a large catchment area with many of them living too far from School to walk in. As a result many of our pupils travel to School by car. Each year we produce a School Travel Plan (see RELATED LINKS) to create ideas for initiatives to encourage considerate parking, walking and cycling to School. Recent initiatives are detailed below.
- 'Park and Stride' is a scheme designed to reduce traffic around schools. The idea is that parents park at least 5 minutes from School (click here for a Walking Zone Map) and pupils walk the remaining distance.
- There is an agreement with Salway Church (at the top of Forest Approach) allowing parents to park in the Church car park to the left of the main entrance, the side furthest from Forest Approach. Parents and carers may park here entering and exiting the car park from the High Road only from 8.15 to 9.00am and 3.15 to 4.15pm but only in term time. There is no arrangement for parking at lunchtime.
- Parents can purchase a permit (click here for an application form) to use the Borough car parks at School drop off and pick up times. The cost is just £35 for a year. The nearest car park is in Derby Road which is approximately a 6 minute walk from School. The Hawkey Hall car park to the North is approximately a 12 minute walk from School.
- We ask that parents do not park in the Roses Estate (see RELATED LINKS).
- It is against the law to stop on the zig zag area outside the School gates in Bunces Lane.
- WOW (Walk Once a Week): Pupils in Years 1 - 8 are encouraged to walk at least 5 minutes to School at least once a week. If they do this for a calendar month they earn a WOW badge. Click here for a Walking Zone map. See WOW website for more details.
- Road Safety education - We teach Road Safety to all pupils as part of PSHCE. This education is delivered in assemblies, lessons and sometimes by visting experts such as the Redbridge Transport Team.
- We have secured funding from TfL for two cycle shelters to encourage pupils to ride bicycles to School.
- In 2012 we secured funding to purchase bicycles for pupils from Nursery to Year 5 to enable us to provide cycle skill teaching and co curricular clubs.
- Some staff have been trained in Cycle Skills and Bicycle Maintenance to help them deliver teaching and clubs.
- Since 2011 we have organised three free Bikeability Cycle Training courses for pupils in Years 5 - 8 to learn to ride safely on the roads.
- Each year we arrange for Dr. Bike to give pupils' bikes a free health check.
- We are approximately a 20 minute walk from both Woodford and South Woodford tube stations.
- Buses - Route 20 (Walthamstow - Debden), Route 679 (Ilford - Woodford).
- We now use public transport (bus and tube) for School trips whenever practical. This reduces transport costs and will hopefully encourage pupils to use public transport in the future.
- Year 6 pupils are taught about how to travel safely on buses and the tube on the Young Citizens PSHCE trip organised by the Metropolitan Police each year.
- We are happy for Senior pupils to use public transport to get to and/or from School but ask that parents let us know the arrangements.